Friday, December 08, 2006

Friday Puzzle

If - like me - your week was as busy as it gets, then I hope that - also like me - you'll be spending the rest of this Friday afternoon with your feet up on a desk.

In which case, you might want to take a few moments to solve this puzzle. It's in memory of David Bronstein, who was playing black (to move) in the diagram position, in 1965 against Vladas I Mikenas.

And if that was too easy - or you've seen it before - don't forget there are other chess puzzles scattered about the blog, too. Here, here, here, here, and here, in fact.

Don't think, incidentally, that there isn't any news about Streatham & Brixton Chess Club. There are first team and second team results to report - but all that over the weekend, and early next week. For right now, my hands are leaving the desk, to be replaced by my feet.


Mike Davies said...

How about 1... Rxa3, threatening Rxa1 mate.:
A.) 2. Rxa3 Qe1 forces mate
B.) 2. bxa3 Qxa1 3. Qb1 Re1 forces mate
C.) 2. Qxa3 Qe1 forces mate
D.) 2. Kg1 Rxa1 3. Kf2 Qe1#

Tom Chivers said...

Yep - well done mike - that's the move.