Talking of friends, and London...a friend works in Oxfam's Bloomsbury shop, where they not long ago received a number of very decent chess books. There's still a few left, available at very reasonable prices: check out the list, below.
- Queen v Rook and Minor Piece Endings by Averbakh, Chekhover and Henkin : £10.00
- Rook v Minor Piece Endings by Averbakh : £6.00
- Sicilian Defence, Najdorf Variation by Nunn and Stean : £5.00
- Flank Openings by Keene (second edition, 1970) : £4.00
- Larsen's Selected Games of Chess : £4.00
- Encyclopedia of Chess Openings (ed. Matanovic) : £5.00