Saturday, October 02, 2010

Grandmaster


120. INT. FORMAN'S OFFICE LIMEHOUSE POLICE STATION DAY

PARKER and FORMAN are bending over paperwork. There’s a knock on the door, and TULLY comes in. He has GORDON’s chess files with him.

TULLY
You wanted these back. They’re Gordon’s.

FORMAN
I didn’t mean to bring them in personally.

TULLY
No, but there’s something I have to tell you… (
holds out files) I’ve spent a long time seeing how he plays chess.

FORMAN (sarcastic)
Great.

TULLY
The fact is he’s exceptional. Much more than exceptional… Chess up at this level, it’s difficult to explain. But with the thousands of variations at any one given moment… (
simply, matter of factly) … When a person moves, it gives you the deepest look possible into their mind.

FORMAN
You say.

TULLY (glimpse of his darkness)
I
know … (he recovers) And Gordon, he plays a long game, very long. He’s got the kind of concentration only the best have. More than that, he’s got the nerve, the bottle to…

FORMAN (cuts across)
… Are you saying what I think you’re saying?

A pause. Then TULLY again speaks matter-of-factly.

TULLY
I don’t know how he managed it. But for my money, yes, he’s the one.

FORMAN dismisses it out of hand.

FORMAN
No, he’s clean. We’re not interested in him any more. Which is why he’s coming in to pick up his stuff.




Sadly, Grandmaster is not available on DVD now.

Even if you can't see it, you can read the opening sequence here. Amazon will tell you that the script is "temporarily" out of stock, but I suspect it will not be available to purchase any time soon.







2 comments:

Tom Chivers said...

Glimpse of his darkness!? What that mean? Like Sharon Stone in Basic Instincts?

Jonathan B said...

You're lowering the tone T.C. Feel tempted to see if I can work "Glimpse of his darkness" into my speech now though.