Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Beauty & The Bulldozer


"This puzzle is brilliant," writes Patrick - and I agree so much I'm posting this position from Koskinen-Kasman, Helsinki 1967, here too. And having checked the answer with Spike - which bulldozed its way to the answer in under a second - I will phrase it like this:

Black to play and mate in four.

The position also reminded me of this discussion. Do we really solve such things for our betterment, so our play becomes closer and closer to that of the brutal, soulless machine? (Or do you think I am posting it here instead for something like beauty's sake?)

5 comments:

ejh said...

How did the king get there?

Tom Chivers said...

No idea - but presumably blacks deficit of two minor pieces has something to do with it . . .

I did check for the game on my chessbase database thingybase, but couldn't find it. Google & chessgames.com no help either. It'd be good to know what game resulted in such a great finish.

ejh said...

I presume this was not a composed game then?

Tom Chivers said...

Without the source game there is no way to know for sure - it doesn't seem impossible - on the other hand the position contains apparently a 'dual' in that Spike reckons 1... Bxe4 wins too - so as composition it'd be an unskilled one.

Tom Chivers said...

Alas, a member of the Finnish Chess Federation answered my enquiry about this position like this:

Dear Tom,
As far as I know the game was not really played. A similar position appeared in a 5-minutes game and this position was composed from that.
This has been asked many times before and this is the best answer I can give. Please notice that the names are Koskinen and Kasanen. They bpth have already died so that we cannot ask them.
Best regards
Esko Nuutilainen