Monday, June 22, 2009

Hurrah!

I'm a long-time complainer about the lack of evening chess events in London over the summer. And what have I done about it? Nothing, that's what. Nothing but complain.

But now, I am happy to at least advertise a new and very welcome addition to our empty summer calendars: The First Athenaeum Blitz Tournament. Hurrah! The event will be held on the evening of Monday 6 July 2009 from 6.45pm, the format a 10-round 5-minute Swiss, the cost to enter a trifling £5, a bargain especially since all prizes (less costs) will be plied back into prize money. To enter, email James Toon with your name, club and grade or estimated grade.

And oh, if you don't know where the Athenaeum Chess Club meet, their venue is at Dudley Court, Tenants' Hall, 36 Endell Street. Or for those who navigate by pubs, that's just along the road from Covent Garden's The Cross Keys, where no doubt you'll find me before and after the event.

I hope to see you there!

* * * * *

PS. Turns out, there's another reason -for me at least- to say Hurrah today: "It’s an exciting time to be a nerd," some guy called John Hodgman has just told Barack Obama - who has responded with the Vulcan salute:


No chess, but a Hurrah all the same.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

blitz tourney sounds good but not sure I'd be particularly welcome at athaeneum...

Nick

Jonathan B said...

And Series 3 of The Wire starts on BBC2 tonight. Hurrah for that I'm sure you'll agree T.C.

Jonathan B said...

"[TEXT DELETED] we used to call them when we were young and hilariously funny."

I might have let that through had it been posted with poster's name attached.

Or if it had been amusing.

Tom Chivers said...

Because no-one watches BBC2 anymore, Hurrah!

Unknown said...

Nick (Anonymous)

I don't know who you are, but there's no reason to feel unwelcome at Athenaeum. As far as I'm concerned we're here to play chess and make other players feel at home.

If you do have an issue with the club, let me know and I'll try to resolve it.

The blitz event is on Athenaeum premises but as it happens only half the entrants so far are from the club – everyone else is from outside. It really is open to anyone.

James