Monday, April 30, 2007

Your Chance To Beat Me . . .

. . . at chess I mean, is coming up very soon. We're running our Club Championship across two Tuesdays, the 8th and 15th of May, at our excellent new home venue Woodfield Grove Tennis Club.

The format will be a six-round rapid-play swiss, with rounds starting 7.30pm, 8.30pm and 9.30pm on each of the two nights. There are two prizes. First place wins free membership of the club for next year - along with a sparkling Trophy, that you get to keep for a year. The highest placed player in the second half of the field will also win free club membership for a year. We'll use estimated grades if rapid or standard ECF grades aren't available - and the games will be graded for the ECF rapid list. Our Presidente Angus French will run the event, and if you'd like to take part just drop him an email.

What else? The event is free to enter, and open to Streatham & Brixton Chess Club members (it's never to late to join) as well as to our neighbours and friends from Streatham Chess Club.

See you there?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, i'll just hop on a ferry then :-)

Anonymous said...

It would be so cool if one day we could organise an international tournament for our regular contributors and readers from overseas!

I fear travel expenses could not be convered however :-(

Tom Chivers said...

The excellent chess blog 'squirrel chess' has a feature where you can play chess on it... We could all take each other on, there!

Anonymous said...

"highest placed player in the 2nd half of the field " - what does that mean ?
If a c.160 thinks he could win ,the title cannot be that hard to win .

Tom Chivers said...

It means, if the median grade is 125, the highest placed player graded under 125, will win Club membership for a year.

I don't get where your comment about 160s is coming from, anonymous. Might you care to explain?

Anonymous said...

"The chance to beat me " (in your own words ) - rated 160 ,I believe - was the story heading ,which suggests that at that standard you presume that you expect(?) some measure of success.
The standard of past club champions (at Streatham ,even twenty years ago ) would have made this unlikely in the extreme.Perhaps you will be fortunate and only a selection of lower rated players will appear.Good luck.

Tom Chivers said...

The title was just a jokey little comment - not a claim to likely victory. Had I wanted to put my hands on the trophy early, I would in fact have called the post the opposite: "Your chance to lose to me. . ."

Who are you, might I ask, anonymous?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, I think you've misread it. Tom wasn't presuming any measure of success, he was just saying that he's entering the tournament and if the reader wants to enter too then he/she may get the opportunity to play and beat Tom...

Angus.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous:

You have left out the fact that I won't be able to play in this year's club championship. Whoever wins it will always know their victory will be devalued by the fact that I was not there.

I am clearly not only the best player in the club but in fact the entire world. I have never lost so much as a single game to any of Kramnik, Anand or Topalov which proves my point I think.