Friday, August 31, 2007

What Are We Like?

Psychologists who studied more than 100 chess players say the game attracts sensation-seekers with a thirst for action and adventure on a par with skydivers, scuba divers, mountaineers and skiers. When men win a game, the experts say, the rise of testosterone levels in the blood is just the same as that experienced by people who go in for risky sports.
You can read the whole thing here, but I have my doubts. Although the following rang a bit more true: "competitive chess players have been shown to score highly for unconventional thinking and paranoia".

Oh, I don't know. What are we like?

7 comments:

ejh said...

Introverts. Hence prone to paranoia.

Anonymous said...

"Psychologists who studied more than 100 chess players say the game attracts sensation-seekers with a thirst for action and adventure on a par with skydivers, scuba divers, mountaineers and skiers"

Call my approach unscientific if you will but I don't need to read the report to know that's total bollocks.

Anonymous said...

Ches is perfection...No luck involved...For each position the absolute right move exists...
Chess players are looking for utopia, the ultimate pleasure.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the full context is:

"Psychologists who studied more than 100 chess players say the game attracts sensation-seekers with a thirst for action and adventure on a par with skydivers, scuba divers, mountaineers and skiers, but are afraid of heights and don't like water ;)

Anonymous said...

Is the water that is not liked for the drinking of or bathing in? Ive seen a lot of chess players and ( perfection ches ) players that dont like the bathing type.I dont like the drinking type, fish do funny things in it. I think Psychologist having a silent P could have something to do with water. Anyway, whats a hundred going to tell you. Sensation seekers & mountaineers my arxx.

Tom Chivers said...

I wonder if the buzz of chess for serious players might be similar to the buzz of extreme sports. The difference is, chess players only need a board game to generate the buzz and so have low-sensation tolerance; skydivers need to jump out of an aircraft, and so have high-sensation tolerance. I say this because I climbed a ladder up a tree in a field in the Gloucestershire on Saturday and felt fully petrified.

ejh said...

That's vertigo, Tom.

Tell you what, it stops me enjoying the Pyrenees as much as I might....