Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My favourite moves III


AP Smith v EJ Horton

Charlton Village 1991

42...R8xa4!

My favourite move among moves I've played myself. Or at least, the one that came to mind when asking myself what moves of mine I remembered with most fondness.

Looking it up, I was surprised to find how long ago I played it. Indeed, having played no tournament chess - or none at normal time-limits - between 1983 and 1991, it was, it transpired, right at the beginning. The new beginning, when, at the age of 26, I returned to chess. It was played in the third round, against a player then graded 192.

So in the sixteen years since, I seem to have done nothing of any note. Or almost nothing.

What I like about it, I think, what makes it memorable, is its wit. White's previous move was 42.Bf4-e5 attacking my rook on a1 with his dark-squared bishop. How is this best countered? By putting my other rook immediately en prise to his other bishop.

It should have won, as well - in fact the game had once already been easily won and then thrown away. (The game is below: you can find the wins yourself, or let the computer do it.) In the sixteen years to come there would be many more easy wins thrown away - some against even stronger opponents - but no moves, it seems, to rank with this one.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Hard to find " ??? Possibly not even the best move .Very liberal with exclamation marks .

ejh said...

Well, there is only one. Whereas you have employed three question marks...

Anonymous said...

perhaps the question marks relate to incredulity at the allocation of
(even)one exclamation mark to such a move .

Tom Chivers said...

I'm glad no-one saw fit to argue with my 1.e4 Nf6 2.e5 Ng8!!! -!

ejh said...

A note to the anonymous poster.

If you want to be critical you're welcome, but it would be appreciated if you could sign your name. Thanks.

(Tom - you want to see what I've got lined up for the next in the series.)

Anonymous said...

names are for tombstones