Monday, July 19, 2010

Like: something rolling about at random on the keyboard, possibly in pain

Dennis Monokroussos writes like Arthur Conan Doyle. Arne Moll, like Isaac Asimov. The Kenilworthian, Dan Brown.

How do I know? Science: I used a "statistical analysis tool, which analyzes ... word choice and writing style and compares them to those of the famous writers." In other words, the internet told me.

And for me? Depends what text I put in. Sometimes James Joyce, it seems; sometimes Shakespeare; but - never Homer. Never Homer.

I found an excerpt from How Life Imitates Chess by Kasparov: written in the style of George Orwell, apparently. But who writes in Rowson's special style? What about Ray Keene?

More questions than answers: more copying and pasting than one blogger alone can perform . . .

4 comments:

Mark Weeks said...

I believe 'How Life Imitates Chess' was written by Mig Greengard, one of the best chess writers of all time. Kasparov knew what he was doing when he teamed up with him. As for Orwell, his essays are superb, although I doubt they went into the IWL database. - Mark

Jack Rudd said...

I submitted one of my short stories for analysis, and was told my writing style resembled that of Dan Brown. Should I kill myself now?

Tom Chivers said...

You might get better news from this one Jack.

Jonathan B said...

either top yourself or prepare yourself for the receipt of flipping great wodges of cash.