Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Is this the second most drawish variation in the world?

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nxe5 d6 4.Nf3 Nxe4 5.Qe2


Though not quite as drawish as 8.Bd3 in the Exchange Slav, the Cozio Variation of the Petroff does its best to keep the draw statistics high. Searching for games played between opponents graded 2400 and above, we find 134 games: six wins for White, three for Black and 125 draws.

Sinisia Drazic holds the distinction of being the only player in that list who has managed to lose the position with the White pieces except for Alexei Shirov, who - remarkably - has managed it not only once but twice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love petroff defence , best oppening after sicilian alapin !!!!!!!!!!!!!

alexey hurricane

ejh said...

I used to like it a lot but one day I got turned over by Adam Hunt who, finding out what I liked to play against 1.e4, went to the bookstall five minutes before play started and found the line that was currently making problems for Black. I got badly turned over and I don't think I've played it since.

Mind you if people always played 3.Nxe5 I probably would. 3.d4 has always seemed more dangerous to me and I don't understand why it's more popular.