Monday, June 09, 2008

Club News, Update!

I emailed our Club's Captains for news for this spot - and whilst modesty ought forbid me quoting this one, those who know me better will not be surprised to see otherwise:
One piece of news - David Hodgson, secretary of the Croydon League, tells me that you were best individual performer in Div 1 of the Croydon League: 'he scored 4/5 and exceeded his grade by 25 points.' Well done Tom,
-Richard

But actually, that's nothing. Surely the performance of the year from a Streatham and Brixton players is to be found in the Minor Division of the London League, where Danny Hewitt scored a perfect 5/5. Great stuff, Danny. Or, wait a minute. What about Andrew Stone and his London League Division I draw against Wood Green Grandmaster Chris Ward? Who can match that? Not me, that's for sure.

And, well, . . . that's it for now. The season's over, so this spot will be suspended for a while. But if you're looking for regular club chess over the summer, why not pop down on Wednesdays to Streatham High Road and its Library? There a growing number of friendly players meet up each week from 3pm to 8pm to play casual games, learn about chess, chat, compete in their internal league, have fun, and they always welcome new visitors. Or click here to find out more, and perhaps I'll see you there one day over the summer.

No comments: