Friday, September 07, 2007

Quiz

I was supposed to be posting today. I regret to inform, however, I spent too long loafing around in the coffee shops of central London and now I've no time left to write a decent article.

Instead I shall just ask a question (or steal one from Chessbase if you prefer) ...


Who is this?


BTW:
One of the causes of the aforementioned coffee shop loitering was that I finally got around to visiting Chess & Bridge to pick up a copy of the latest Kingpin. It's well worth a read. Not only does it contain an article and numerous book reviews from our own EJH there's also an (unintentionally) hilarious whinge from Amatzia Avni. He doesn't like book reviewers it seems. As far as I can make out he thinks we ordinary folk should just shut up and accept any old cack we are lucky enough to receive. I shall be returning to this shortly*.






* By "shortly" I mean whenever I can be bothered to get around to it - very much like the Kingpin publishing schedule then.

5 comments:

Ted Teodoro said...

Greetings to our neighbors across the pond. When my son was studying at LSE and his dorm located near Southwark, I didn't know about the Streatham and Brixton Chess Club or else I would have visited( I am assuming that there is an actual and regular meeting place for this club). Looking at the map, it seems that your area is located near the train station where one can get the chunnel train. Maybe I am mistaken. Anyway, this young lad in the photo, I suspect, is Vishy Anand. The clue that made me doubt my choice, instead of helping it, is that his native tongue is English. Do some of the Indian people consider English as their native language? I dunno. But this boy's facial structure plus some years added to it could very well make him to be Anand.

Anonymous said...

Vugar Gashimov possibly! looks like him a bit

ejh said...

Is it Robin Haldane?

Tom Chivers said...

How funny chessbuff - I work at the LSE, and I'm not the only S&BCCer with a connection to it...

Anonymous said...

UPDATE:
Chessbase have now revealed it was indeed Anand.